Click on the image below to find out more about how Physical Education is taught at Gurnard Primary School.
School Games Mark
Gurnard Primary School is working towards achieving the Sainsbury's School Games Mark Gold Award. The School Games Mark is a Government led awards scheme that recognises commitment to and development of competition, school sport and physical education.
In achieving the School Games Mark Gold Award, Gurnard Primary School will:
- demonstrate a commitment to developing sport and physical education across the school and into the community
- provide all pupils with two hours of physical education per week (within the school curriculum) with extra curriculum provision in addition to this
- engage at least 50% of pupils in extra-curricular sporting activity every week
- provide opportunities that attract less active young people to participate in physical activity
- provide the opportunity for both boys and girls to take part in intra-school sports (Level 1) and inter-school competition (Level 2)
- offer talented young sports people specific support to help them to develop their sporting potential
- promote the Sainsbury’s School Games to parents and the local community once a fortnight
- regularly feature match reports and competition results on the school website and in the local press
- engage at least 20% of pupils in leading, managing and officiating Sainsbury’s School Games activity
- have a School Sport Crew in place
- use sports coaches to support school sport
- train school staff to support school sport
- have active links with local sports clubs.