School Games Mark
Gurnard Primary School is working towards achieving the Sainsbury's School Games Mark Gold Award. The School Games Mark is a Government led awards scheme that recognises commitment to and development of competition, school sport and physical education.
In achieving the School Games Mark Gold Award, Gurnard Primary School will:
- demonstrate a commitment to developing sport and physical education across the school and into the community
- provide all pupils with two hours of physical education per week (within the school curriculum) with extra curriculum provision in addition to this
- engage at least 50% of pupils in extra-curricular sporting activity every week
- provide opportunities that attract less active young people to participate in physical activity
- provide the opportunity for both boys and girls to take part in intra-school sports (Level 1) and inter-school competition (Level 2)
- offer talented young sports people specific support to help them to develop their sporting potential
- promote the Sainsbury’s School Games to parents and the local community once a fortnight
- regularly feature match reports and competition results on the school website and in the local press
- engage at least 20% of pupils in leading, managing and officiating Sainsbury’s School Games activity
- have a School Sport Crew in place
- use sports coaches to support school sport
- train school staff to support school sport
- have active links with local sports clubs.